The greatness of the Quran is fundamentally shown in its guidance for the true Faith, the authentic acts of worship, good morals, fair legislations, valuable teachings to build up a righteous Muslim and righteous community. The Quran is a book that full of Allah’s wise instructions and in which Muslims can find spiritual feelings, power of the true faith, tranquility he/she needs in life. So Muslims should renew their relationship with the Quran and realize its importance in their lives. Moreover, if Muslims really seek goodness, reformation, righteousness, and dignity for themselves and their nation, they should follow the example of the prophet and his companions, they knew The importance of learning the Quran with understanding.
What does understanding the Quran mean?
The Arabic word “Tadabbur” is a noun that equals the English word contemplation. Tadabbur means to deeply and comprehensively understand and everything. Regarding the Quran, Tadabbur-i-Quran means to think, search, and end up understanding the meaning of the new words according to the Arabic language and the context of the verse. Regarding the context of the verse in the Quran, to enhance your understanding you need to be aware of some things for example the meaning of the uncommon words, the specific reason”Asbab An-Nuzul”, and the connection between verses.
Why is Tadabbur ( learning the Quran with understanding) so vital and demanding? Let’s figure it out together.
- Adhering to Allah’s commands as He the Almighty said ” Do they not then reflect on the Quran? Had it been from anyone other than Allah, they would have certainly found many inconsistencies in it.” Moreover, if you don’t like to have locks on your heart, understand and contemplate the meanings of the Quran, as Allah said ” Do they not then reflect on the Quran? Or are there locks upon their hearts? “
- Learning the Quran with understanding is like a vast, unended ocean full of goodness, wisdom, and guidance. As Allah said ” Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ “If the ocean were ink for ˹writing˺ the Words of my Lord, it would certainly run out before the Words of my Lord were finished, even if We refilled it with its equal.”
- Understanding the Quran leads you to apply its teachings and values and take them into action and this is the most significant part of a Muslim’s life and will make a huge difference in the Muslim nation.
- Learning the Quran with understanding is the perfect means if you are seeking a better life. As the Quran made a huge difference in the life of the righteous companions, it took them out of the darkness to the light. Moreover, understanding the Quran has changed hundreds of generations to be better over time. The Prophet was pointing out to the Quran saying ” By this Book God exalts some peoples and lowers others.”
- To follow the example of Prophet Muhammad who was like the Quran walking upon the face of the earth, you really need to understand the Quran and take its teachings into consideration.
What do we need to understand the Quran?
If you seek to learn the Quran sincerely and have a good intention to take it as a means and a path leading you to paradise, you need to take some effective steps to enhance your understanding of Allah’s words. Let’s tackle some of these steps.
- Good intention: If you decide to engage in any act of worship, firstly you need to put a good intention as the prophet has taught us ” an action depends on the intention behind it. A man will be rewarded only for what he intended. The emigration of one who emigrated for the sake of Allah and His Messenger (ﷺ) is for the sake of Allah and His Messenger (ﷺ), and the emigration of one who emigrated for gaining a worldly advantage or for marrying a woman is for what he has emigrated.”
- Arabic language: The Quran was revealed to Prophet Mohammad in Arabic so If your target is to understand the Quran perfectly, you have to give special care to the Arabic language. Moreover, Allah said, ” Indeed, We have sent it down as an Arabic Quran1 so that you may understand.”
- Asking Questions: It is well known that you will never learn something by asking questions like what, why, and how. After asking questions, everything becomes crystal clear. The same in learning the Quran with understanding, you need to ask what does this verse means, why, and when was it revealed, the answers to these questions will surely make you more attached to Allah’s book.
- Authentic sources of interpretation: When you seek knowledge, you should take it from authentic sources. So choose to understand the meanings of the Quran from recommended books of interpretations.
To conclude, Whoever engages in learning the Quran with understanding will see a huge positive difference in his/her life. And the one who doesn’t understand the Quran misses the countless blessings of the Quran.